The creation of South Frontenac Township occurred with the official Order of Amalgamation which took effect on Jan. 1, 1998. The amalgamation combined the former Townships of Bedford, Loughborough, Portland and Storrington into the jurisdiction we enjoy today.
Some 15 years later in 2013, the Township was officially granted its own Coat of Arms, a function of Rideau Hall and the Governor General’s office. Credit for the original concept is given to Bruce Patterson, Deputy Chief Herald of Canada, assisted by the heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority. Painted by Palina Klimava with calligraphy by Shirley Mangione, this official graphic of our area is as beautiful as it is meaningful.
The Governor General’s office explains the symbology behind the different aspects of the image:
Arms: The bulrushes are features of the many lakes of the township and allude to the natural setting responsible for the tourism and recreation aspects of the local economy. Their number refers to the township’s predecessor municipalities: Loughborough, Storrington, Bedford and Portland.
Crest: The loon is another feature of the township’s lakes. The mural coronet is a symbol of municipal authority. The yellow griffins’ claws on blue are based on the arms of the Comte de Frontenac (Governor of New France 1672-1682 and 1689-1698), for whom the township is named. The disc divided in four is a First Nations symbol, honouring the original Algonquin occupants of the region.
Supporters: The stags, which are found in the forests of the township, represent the forestry industry in earlier times, as well as recreational hunting. A stag’s head also appears on the arms of Lord Sydenham, Governor General of Canada (1839-1841), after whom South Frontenac’s largest community is named. The milk canister represents the importance of dairy farming in the township’s history. The fish refers to recreational fishing. The rocky base refers to the Frontenac Axis of the Canadian Shield, the geographical feature that runs through the township. Trilliums, the floral emblem of Ontario, grow in abundance in the township, and the waves at the bottom are another indication of the lakes within South Frontenac. Included across the bottom is the official South Frontenac motto, Our Strength is Our Community.
– If you’ve got a piece of history related to South Frontenac or one of its lakes that you’d like to share either through an interview or by writing it yourself, please email email@example.com.